Throughout my life, I have always gravitated towards problem solving and finding the right solution for a variety of things. That same curiosity and drive has manifested itself within my career as can be seen from my days of building custom PC’s to my most recent work with cloud-based technologies and information security. I have a curiosity and deep respect for technology including the benefits, and dangers that it can bring.
Fun Fact #1: My first “real” job in IT was at AOL (You’ve Got Mail) as a Tech Support Rep.
RealSelf is the leading and most trusted source for people considering an elective cosmetic treatment. My team manages our infrastructure, tools (including self-hosted and SaaS) as well as support the engineering efforts at large.
- Led Splunk on-prem to SaaS migration, including finding a creative solution for our Splunk Forwarder installs via Chef. This allowed for 200% longer retention of data for investigations.
- Migration from RDS MySQL to RDS Aurora for our main database and then re-worked the Production to Test Step-Function for using Python 3.7 (from 2.7) and Aurora.
- After noticing Pii (Personally Identifiable Information) in our logging system I created a new index to locks down this data to only the individuals who need access.
- Containerized legacy applications allowing for quicker iterations on changes and closer parity in Dev/Test/Prod.
- Solve business problems using a variety of solutions and technologies to ensure a great consumer and provider experience on Realself.com.
- Create custom tools using Python and Bash.
- Monitoring using Splunk, ELK, New Relic, DataDog, CloudWatch.
- Participate in bug bounty program by validating findings and discussing solutions
1Strategy is an consulting firm specializing in helping clients migrate to Amazon Web Services.
- Developed SOWs (scope of work) ranging from $5k to multi-million dollar.
- Performed AWS Well-Architected Framework reviews for clients.
- Migration and automation of customer assets from on-prem to cloud-based.
- Infrastructure as Code, Server Admin, EC2/ECS, VPC/networking, monitoring, storage.
- Admin of tools including Office 365, Slack, Jira/Confluence, GitHub, BitBucket, AWS.
Beyondsoft is a consulting firm focused on Business Intelligence solutions mostly for Microsoft Corp. I expanded our knowledge into AWS and helping clients with those interests.
- Led DevOps resource on all maintenance contracts for Beyondsoft.
- Responsible for ensuring the health of all projects as well as resolving reported issues.
- Suggestions and led migration from TFS source control to git version control system.
- Implemented security best practices following AWS and industry standards for the Beyondsoft organization.
- Weekly after hours patching, updates and maintenance on 15+ servers and systems.
- Supported urgent OS agnostic user support as needed in the Seattle office.
- Regular research and analysis of new technologies that would be beneficial to the organization. Delivered this information in weekly meetings and brown bags.
- Designed and implemented a scalable environment for the organization’s website and blog via AWS utilizing EC2, RDS, S3, CloudFront, and Elastic Load Balancer.
The skills and experience I’ve listed above are just a few of the assets I can contribute to your organization. Before I entered roles in SRE/DevOps space, I held job titles like BI Developer, Quality Assurance Lead, Application Developer, and Tech Support Specialist
All The SkillsAmazon Web Services, Azure, DevOps, Information Security, Automation, Linux & Windows Servers, Virtualization, Config Management, Web Hosting/Development, Business Intelligence, Relational and Non-Relational Databases, Engineering Change Control, Pentesting
Fun Fact #2: I am one of the co-founders of the West Seattle LUG (Linux User Group)
InterestsIn my spare time, I feed my curiosity by researching new technologies and happenings in the cloud computing, infosec, & home-automation space(s) to name a few. I enjoy spending time with my partner and our dog, Chili. We love to play World of Warcraft (For the Horde!) and enjoy camping, especially in the Fall.